Our topic this week is, “Making Plans to Quit.” You are either making plans for sobriety or have made plans for sobriety and we know how difficult those plans can be. There is, or maybe were, a lot of things running through your mind. Today is the first Monday of 2015 so there is no better time than right now to start or refocus your plan for this humbling journey.
If you are already sober – congratulations! That is great. We are here to help keep you on the right track. Think back to the day you quit. Did you have a plan? How successful was that plan? Do you need to re-evaluate your plan now? These tips can help you too! Or, maybe you can share these tips with a friend who may be struggling or thinking about quitting.
If you are making plans to quit, we can help. Here are some tips to support you through this.
- Do not purchase large amounts of your substance of choice. Only purchase enough to get you through each day.
- Get rid of paraphernalia or anything around the home that may cause you to think about your substance.
- Pick a day to deep clean the area that you use your substance in. This may be the bathroom, a bedroom, or your car.
- Talk to someone you can trust about your plans to quit. Tell them the day you picked and ask them to help by not drinking or getting high in front of you or by not enabling you by giving you money or substances.
- Pick a date to quit. Mark in on your calendar, tell someone and start to establish your support system.